Friday, September 3, 2010

Way Up High in the Apple Tree


With the welcoming approach of fall, we have apples on our mind! September, for as long as I can remember, has meant apples. Perhaps it's the apple for the teacher on the first day of school or maybe it's the fond remembrance I have of my second grade field trip to an apple orchard during the month of September. (Incidentally, while I remember with fondness watching apple cider being milled and crunching on a variety of apples, the absolute highlight of that trip in my second grade mind was our bus being stuck in the mud, in the middle of the apple orchard, in a rain storm, for two hours. We had just moved to Wisconsin and this field trip happened to be my very first day of school. It was great fun!) Whatever the reason may be, in our little neck of the woods, September means apples!

In honor of apples sweet and tart I give you the following...

First, the sweet.

When my son was just a little guy of about three (unfortunately he's not so little anymore, he's a strapping nine year old) he used to wander around our little house reciting the following:

Way up high in the apple tree
Two little apples hung over me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
And, oh, were they good!

In my mother heart I wish he was still wandering around reciting his apple rhymes. However, nine year olds, I've found, are not big on the apple recitation. Nevertheless, to honor that sweet memory I am releasing Harvest Moon Hollow's Apple Tree Pillow. To have an up close look - click on over to our Etsy shop.

Now, to the tart.

Our family has a favorite apple pie recipe that calls for several tart Granny Smith apples. We love this recipe so much that it is our traditional dessert on the first day of school. This recipe also graces our holiday tables and any other time we just want some delicious apple goodness.

Way Up High in the Apple Tree Pie

1 C sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
5 C thinly sliced apples (we always use Granny Smith)
2 T flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB butter

Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt in a large bowl. Add apples and lemon juice. Toss to mix. Line pie pan. Trim off overhang. Roll pastry for top, cut vents near the center. Add half of the apples, pack well. Dot with butter. Add remaining apples. Apply the top crust. Bake at about 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until apples test done with fork.

(I have a delightful pie crust recipe that I use for all of my pies. I will be sure to post it at a later time.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I would love for you to post your apple butter recipe one of these days. I made that while we were in Russia, and it is so good! Unfortunately, I lost the recipe somewhere along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An adorable pillow! I love anything apple themed.
    That is a very yummy tradition you have going there for the first day of school. That should calm those first day jitters.

    ReplyDelete