Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Few of our Favorite Halloween Things


We are gearing up for a few spooky days in our neck of the woods!
Here are a few of our favorite Halloween things...

Pumpkin Jack is a fantastic book about a boy and his beloved pumpkin. This is a great book to explore the life cycle of a pumpkin.


Who Will Haunt My House on Halloween? has delightful illustrations that keep you reading again and again.


Scared Silly is a fun compilation of Halloween poems, riddles, jokes and stories. The author/illustrator is Marc Brown of Arthur fame. When my son was four or five I read him a suspenseful story from this book that made him nearly jump out of his skin. The memory of it still makes me giggle hysterically.


Love this book! I have read this to various classrooms of children and it always proves to be a winner. Megan Lloyd is one of my favorite illustrators and she, once again, does a fabulous job. This book is just lovely.



Another Halloween favorite is our annual Haunted Gingerbread House creation. My husband and I made our first Haunted Gingerbread House when we were newlyweds and our family hasn't missed a year yet!


We LOVE pumpkin bread! Below is, hands down, the best pumpkin bread recipe I have ever tasted. It is super easy, delightfully tasty, and makes your house smell so good when it is cooking.


Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

**Recipe from allrecipes.com**

Happy Halloween!
Images from womansday.com, recipetips.com, neatsolutions.com, rd.com., newportnewslib.org

2 comments:

  1. Super Cute House steph! I love allrecipes myself and always find myself sifting between that website, a few blogs and food network to try and make my food tastier =) Happy Halloween =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish it was our house! If only our houses looked that good! I got the image from a different site... our houses are not fancy enough to post. :)

    ReplyDelete